Friday 20 November 2015

Christmas Angel

I took some time out from deadlines and DT commitments to just have some fun and decided to join in with Sandra Evertson's Merry Christmas Ornament Challenge.
I decided to create a Christmas Angel. She is covered in book pages from an Alice in Wonderland paperback.
This is what I started with. I removed the head and replaced with a dolls head.
The paints I used are DecoArt Fluid Acrylics Cobalt Teal Hue, Yellow Green Light for the body and wings and Burnt Umber with a touch of Quinacridone Gold with a base coat of Titanium White for the head. I applied the Titanium White first as the base coat allowed to dry and then roughly applied a mix of Burnt Umber mixed with a touch of Quinacridone Gold over the top, dabbing off the excess paint with a baby wipe.
I was pleased with how the face turned out and I added a few Remnant Rubs for added interest. I also gave her a crown which I found in an antique store and coloured with touches of Treasure Gold Waxes.
Around her neck she is wearing a Sandra Evertson Prima Relic Chandelier Pendant Embellishment attached with rusty wire.
I love how the book pages are still visible under the paint. I added computer generated text along with some DecoArt Crackle Glaze randomly to the wings and body. I used a Pitt Pen to highlight the text around the edges.
Snowflakes have been added using Tim Holtz Layering Stencil and Texture Paste. I also added delicate splatters of Titanium White to the backdrop.
I love all the layers that are clearly visible, the book pages, the Texture Paste element, painted layers and Remnant Rubs.
ChitChat Stickers have been added to one wing and I have added rusty wire around each of the wings for added texture, secured into place with a Tiny Attacher.
I die cut snowflakes from copper sheets die cut with Tim Holtz Stacked Snowflakes Die and added snowflake embellishments to the top. I heated the copper until it changed colour, you can't see from this picture but the copper really does have an array of colours from heating.
I really had fun making this piece...now back to the deadlines!

I would also like to enter my Christmas Angel into the following challenges:

 Anything But Cute Challenge - "It's Ornamental"

Thanks for stopping by. Tracy x x



16 comments:

Lesley said...

How lucky am i?!! So, so, so love this you clever girl! xx

A Pink said...

Great that you got to take some time out to messy play and have fun! Tracy .Love all the detail and texture you have given your angel . The cheek tattoo's are a cool touch and those copper snowflakes are so fabulous. x

Corrie Herriman said...

This is so lovely ! Love his little crown !
Corrie x

Redanne said...

So pleased that you took some time out - and this angel is such a fun project, I love the doll's head, very clever addition and the book pages are perfect for such a beautiful angel. Love this. Anne xx

Pamellia said...

Wow Tracy, you are blowing me away with this amazing decoration!! I love the doll head idea and the little crown really makes her look like an angel! Your textures are amazing, I love the gold highlighting on your snowflake texture, and the 3D snowflakes are just stunning!!

You should really enter this into our challenge at Anything But Cute this month. It's so perfect for our theme "It's Ornamental" hugs for now :)

http://anythingbutcutechallenge.blogspot.ca/2015/11/challenge-7-its-ornamental.html

Redanne said...

Just came back to say thanks so much for joining in our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute Tracy with beautiful little angel! Anne xx

Dorthe said...

Tracy she is amazing, LOVE her body, with the wonderful crackle, and snowflakes, a gorgeous piece for the challenge !!
Dorthe xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

OMGOSH...you replaced with a dolls head...brilliant!!! The whole alteration is wonderful, and I love the way you textured and colored. So cool!

Unknown said...

Hello Tracy! I LOVE the fact that you took the head off and replaced it with a dolls head - that is super cool! Its ace! really altered and I have to say its right up my street! Cxx (FA for November at Anything But Cute)

Mona Pendleton said...

your angel is stunning Tracy! I love all the little details! The patina look is amazing! Your homespun embellishments are incredible as always!

Cec said...

Superb! I love the colour palette, the crackle and texture. The face is wonderful and the die cut snowflakes are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

chanya13 said...

What a lovely angel. Thank you for joining us at Creative Inspirations :)
Have a beautiful day! Agnieszka

SewPaperPaint said...

What a fabulous concept! I love how you altered her wings, love the stenciled snowflakes, love her crown! Fantastic details! Well done!

Samra said...

Great colors and textures!
Thank you so very much for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute!

Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Jean Franks Beck said...

This is so pretty - I love all of the wonderful layers. Very intricate, there is always something new to find to look at on this inspiring angel!

Words and Pictures said...

Working backwards... but I think I love this angel even more than the other. So wonderful to see some of those detailed highlights close up. I love how the book page text shows through the crackle, and the layered snowflakes look fantastic. The wordy wings are my favourite part - fabulous!
Alison xx