Friday 13 March 2015

Compendium of Curiosities 23 - Collection Folio

When I saw the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge was the Collection Folio, I knew it was the perfect time to make a start on my Mother-in-Law's alternative birthday card, she is 80 in September. The idea behind my folio is to build on it as the year progresses, adding more pieces each month to make this an alternative card to cherish. Inspiration Emporium are kindly sponsoring this challenge and offering a fabulous prize for the winner.
I will avoid going into too much detail as this post is very picture heavy to show all the details. The folio has been covered with the beautiful Wallflower Paper Stash and machine stitched into place, I love adding stitching to this kind of project. The focal image is that of my Mother-in-Law with my husband and two children. I have also included three die cut hearts, cut from mountboard using the new Heartfelt die and covered with Wendy Vecchi embossing powders, adding rusty hearts around the outside edge for a further texture. 13 represents the date of my Mother-in-Law's birthday and I love the Chitchat stickers they fit perfectly. Family and Cherish were die cut from white card using Tim Holtz thinlits dies.
My Mother-in-Law loves her garden and the birds they attract so the Wallflower paper seemed perfect.
Natural twine and embellishments add further interest.
I love these hearts and the rusty hearts to echo the shape.
Flashcards add a further layer of interest to my design.
I don't use papers very often so this was a nice change adding layers using papers and embellishments. I also added touches of stencilling here and there along with Remnant Rubs and wooden birds.
80 has been added using Alpha Parts, covered with Tree Branch embossing powder.
I have die cut tags from kraft card using Tim Holtz Tag and Bookplate die and added them as layers to the folio and I will add more personal pictures of my Mother-in-Law over the coming months.
I highlighted September and 13 on this pocket card my Mother-in-Law's birthday.
Chitchat stickers have been added throughout.
I love the alphabet background on this group of tags, perfect as my Mother-in-Law was a teacher.
Thanks so much for stopping by, hope you like what I have created. Tracy x x x




18 comments:

Unknown said...

Tracy the folio is stunning!!! Love every little detail ^.^

HMax said...

Your mother in law is going to love this! What a thoughtful gift. I love your combination of papers and alphabet. Lovely!

Astrid Maclean said...

Love your over all idea of using this a birthday card alternative. Some fantastic ideas on the inside too, a great looking folio, I am sure she is so going to love this!!

Kim said...

Your folio is amazing! I love all the details and thought you put into it! She will love it!

Jools Robertson said...

Love how you have sewn the papers, gorgeous hearts in cornflower colours
The inside is stunning, beautiful and sunny
A gorgeous gift
Jools x

Redanne said...

Absolutely superb Tracy! I love the blue hearts, the rusty wire, all the elements on the inside and the wonderful papers - the whole folio is just brilliant! What a wonderful gift. Hugs, Anne xx

sarascloset said...

I love your folio. I adore that Wallflower paper stash and it seems like a perfect fit for your Mother in Law who loves her garden. The idea to stitch around the cover is brilliant! What a wonderful gift you have made for her!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

COOL COOL COOL...fab design and love all the ephemera use! Gorgeous pics, and just a gorgeous folio! Thank you so much for participating in the folio challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

Words and Pictures said...

A truly wonderful idea to create an ever-growing card/gift folio for your MIL's 80th birthday - what a joy it will be for her to see it develop as you add more photos, memorabilia and family memories as the year goes on.

It's already jaw-droppingly gorgeous - great papers, fabulous enamelled hearts and metal embellishments. I love the gilded die-cut words and the gorgeous tags and tabs inside - completely blown away - it's wonderful!
Alison xx

massofhair said...

A different type of scrapbooking than i have seen before, it is absolutely stunning. How thoughtful to create a folio just for your MIL i am sure she will have a tear in her eye and a leaping heart when she sees your beautiful gjft :-) xxx

barbarayaya62 said...

Amazing piece of art TRAcy! I love the way to display your photos, and I love your use of embossing powders! Truly gorgeous! BArbarayaya

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderfully put together Tracy and what a fabulous idea to build on it further.
Have a great weekend.
hugs Brenda xxxx

Rea' said...

LOVE IT ... such a beautiful Folio I pinned it ... so much inspiration here :)

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm sure your MIL will adore this thoughtful gift, and will enjoy adding to it as the year progress. What a beautiful present. Thanks for sharing with us at CC3C!

The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs said...

Wow! Your MIL will love this. Such a beautiful tribute

Clare said...

SO stunning! I love those blue hearts!

Annette Green said...

I love that you call this a card. Wow! It's the best card a Mother in Law could ever get. So beautiful and such a lovely tribute to her. Fantastic creation!

Jenny Marples said...

Gosh this is so special Tracy! I love the enamelled embellishments and the clever little date parts. Such a beautiful way to store such precious memories. Jenny x